Saturday, May 23, 2020
Soda Bread w/ Yogurt
1 heaped tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
300ml of yogurt (150ml) and milk (150ml)
+ 6 TBS tepid water
walnuts + treacle (2 TBS)
rosemary + honey (2 TBS)
*Preheat the oven to 200ºC / 180ºC fan / gas 6.
1. Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Stir any wet flavorings (treacle, honey, etc.) into the yogurt / milk mixture until mixed well.
3. Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add the yogurt / milk mixture and stir in dry ingredients gradually until a very soft, sticky dough is formed. Add tepid water as needed.
4. Do not knead!
5. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and shape into a neat round approx. 7" in diameter. Make a deep cross-shaped cut with a knife. Place onto baking tray lined with baking paper. Lightly flour the top.
6. Bake for 30 min, then turn the bread upside-down and continue baking for 10-15 min or until the bread sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Cool on a rack.